Broadway Manor Cottages | Cotswold Holiday Cottages | Tel +44(0)1386 852913

Broadway High Street in summer, the Cotswolds
Broadway Manor Cottages


West End, Broadway

Sheldon shield of three sheldrakes
Sheldon Shield

Grounds surrounding the cottages
Grounds surrounding the cottages

 

 

 


The Sheldon Family
and
The Manor House, Broadway

It is recorded in the Worcestershire County Archives that in 1539, at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries, Ralph Sheldon, son of Baldwin and Jane Sheldon acquired several acres of land in Broadway from John Stonywell, Abbot of Pershore and Bishop of Polizzi.

Ralph Sheldon survived his only son Thomas.  Thomas Sheldon died in 1593 leaving two daughters, Elizabeth (who married John Kighley of South Littleton) and Mary (who married William Sambage of Broadway).

Ralph Sheldon granted land to his brother Anthony in 1576 and when he later died in 1584, Anthony's son William succeeded to the estate.  Ralph also settled land and The Manor on his nephew William in 1595.  William Sheldon then held The Manor and lands in West End, Broadway, until his death in 1626 when his son, also called William, inherited.  Lands were still held by the Sheldon family in West End until they were conveyed to John Bancroft in trust in 1678 until William's death.  When William died in 1680 the lands were sold.Sheldon Shield, three sheldrake ducks

The Sheldon Shield incorporating 3 sheldrakes with the date 1768 can still be seen albeit in weathered stone in the gable end of The Manor House on the north facing wall of Rafters.

In the 16th Century at the time The Manor House was built, Broadway was on the main pack-horse route from Worcester to London, a route that passed through Childswickham past The Manor house then on to St Eadburgha's Church on the Snowshill Road where it turned up Coneygree Lane and up over the Cotswold escarpment.  This route pre-dated the carriage road later driven through Broadway and up Fish Hill.  The village of Broadway then developed as a group of inns and houses serving the carriage trade where travellers could obtain refreshment and extra horses could be hired to help get over the hill.

A 'manor' was a parcel of land which in Anglo-Saxon times the King could bequeath to his subjects However, it was not just a gift of land, with it went certain rights, eg to hold Courts of Justice, levy taxes, etc.  In return the Lord of The Manor owed certain duties to his King such as sending men to fight, etc.  After a time instead of sending men he levied taxes, often on property, quit rents and harlots. In 1920 the right to levy such taxes was withdrawn by Act of Parliament and except for the possession of interesting deeds, the office had no importance. A manor house is where the Lord of the Manor lived.

In the late 1880s the house and surrounding land was owned and farmed by Mr. William Tayler and his wife Fanny and was passed on to their nephew Austin (Augustin) Read Williams by the early 1900s. The Manor House at West End, having at a much later date fallen into decline was reconstructed in the early 1980s.  It was impossible to trace the original interior layout but the reconstruction faithfully followed the footprint of the original and as one gable end was still standing, it was possible to accurately reproduce the original fenestration, eaves height and ridge height.  The original barns were in sound order and they were incorporated into the rebuild resulting in the house as it stands today.

The Manor House featured in an article about the Sheldon family's role in the English Civil War in September 2008's issue of the magazine Worcestershire Life.

All of our family run Cotswold holiday cottages and apartment are located in the grounds surrounding The Manor House and our guests are invited to enjoy the grounds including the old manorial stewpond during their stay.